Friday, August 15, 2014

Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes


Ok, I can hear you saying it now: "Another zucchini recipe?!" I know... this has been the "Summer of the Zucchini." Based on my Pinterest feed and friends' Facebook updates, I know I'm not alone in trying to find new uses for the green squash taking over gardens everywhere. However, if you're sick of hearing about zucchini, you'll be happy to know that this should be my last zucchini recipe for this summer. :)


And it's a good one. I actually shared the same recipe in sheet cake form last summer, but I think I like the cupcake version even better. A few weeks ago I had to make a dessert for a luncheon, so I  decided to make cupcakes with our bounty of zucchini. I transported them to church in a flat box and didn't have to worry about getting my pan back. Plus, they're much easier to serve to a crowd since they don't require utensils. Total win.

And the frosting. This was my own creation last summer - I combined a few recipes I found to come up with this glossy frosting that isn't too sweet. It reminds me of the icing you would find on top of a Boston Cream Cake or donut. I'm sure a buttercream frosting would work well too, but I really like this one.

 Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes

Makes 24 cupcakes

For the Cupcakes:


2 1/2 c. flour (I used half all-purpose and half whole wheat)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. cocoa powder
2 c. sugar
2 c. grated zucchini
1 c. vegetable oil (I used expeller pressed coconut oil)
1/2 c. milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla
3 eggs

Mix dry ingredients. Stir in zucchini, oil, milk, vanilla, and beaten eggs.  Pour into 24 paper-lined cupcake pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.

Chocolate Frosting:


6 Tbsp. cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar
5-6 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. butter, very soft

Whisk together the cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Add the vanilla and 5 tablespoons milk, and blend well using electric beaters. Add a 6th tablespoon of milk if the frosting is too thick. Beat in softened butter, a little at a time, until blended completely.

Allow the cupcakes to cool before frosting and refrigerate any leftovers.


These cupcakes are delicious, and you can feel a little less guilty indulging in them because they contain something healthy. Bon Apetit!



 

Other Zucchini and Squash Recipes: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with readers and learning more about you. You are always welcome to leave a comment. I make sure to answer every single one!
*I have added word verification because I've been receiving a lot of spam comments. Thanks for understanding!*