Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Balsamic Sauteed Summer Squash


A few weeks ago, this delicious side dish made a cameo in my recipe post for Lasagna Casserole, so it only makes sense to share it!


I have to thank Hubby, the winger, for this one. He created this recipe on the fly a few years ago and I was more than happy to claim it as my own. It's perfect for all that yellow squash or zucchini that's coming out of our ears this time of year.

Simple Sauteed Summer Squash:
3-4 small or 2 medium Zucchini and/or Yellow Squash
1/2 small onion, sliced and quartered
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1-2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar, to taste

1. Wash the squash, cut off the ends, quarter, and slice.

2. Heat a large skillet (I used our 10 1/4" cast iron) on medium-high, and then add roughly 2 Tablespoons olive oil (no need to measure - just eyeball it).

3. Add the squash and onion, tossing once, and then cover the skillet with a lid (this isn't entirely necessary, but makes cooking go a lot faster). Stir and flip the squash over occasionally so they brown on both sides.


4. After about 10-12 minutes, the squash should be nicely browned and softened.


Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the balsamic vinegar, and stir.
(If you use less vinegar, it doesn't hurt to add a little water to the skillet too. And if you really don't like balsamic vinegar, you could just use water. When we skip the balsamic, we usually add other seasonings)

My attempt at an action shot. All things considered, it actually turned out pretty well!
5. Stir for 1-2 more minutes, until they are cooked to your preference. At this point you can add salt and pepper, if desired. I will add it if I remember, which isn't too often. :-) Serves 2-4.


This is a great summer side that Hubby and I really enjoy. Since our garden has been producing a lot of zucchini and yellow squash, we have been eating this side at least once a week.
What's your favorite way to eat summer squash?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with readers and learning more about you. You are always welcome to leave a comment. I make sure to answer every single one!
*I have added word verification because I've been receiving a lot of spam comments. Thanks for understanding!*