Friday, August 23, 2013

Zucchini Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Icing




Have you ever been inspired by Pinterest to make a recipe you already have? 
It doesn't happen all that often, but I'm always glad when it does. See, I tend to get in recipe ruts. If Hubby likes a meal, he'll ask for it several weeks in a row. For example, this is the third week in a row that we'll be making a variation of Zucchini Boats. (I'm seeing a trend here... must be summer!) Then all of a sudden I'll see a recipe pinned for a soup, Mexican dish, or some sort of crock pot chicken, and I'll be reminded of a great meal I've forgotten all about! Isn't Pinterest great?
Last weekend, I was browsing through Pinterest for a dessert when a pin for Zucchini Brownies reminded me of my friend Sarah's Zucchini Chocolate Cake. Well, there's no shortage of zucchinis in our house right now, so I found her recipe, topped it with chocolate frosting (modified from the brownie recipe), and we had a winner!



Zucchini Chocolate Cake: 
2 1/2 c. flour (I used half all-purpose and half whole wheat)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. cocoa powder
2 c. sugar
2 c. grated zucchini 
1 c. vegetable oil (I used expeller pressed coconut oil)
1/2 c. milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla
3 eggs

Mix dry ingredients. Stir in zucchini, oil, milk, vanilla, and beaten eggs.  Pour into greased 13x9" cake pan. Bake 40-50 min. at 350 degrees F.

Chocolate Frosting:
6 Tbsp. cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar
5-6 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. butter, very soft

Whisk together the cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Add the vanilla and 5 tablespoons milk, and blend well using electric beaters. Add a 6th tablespoon of milk if the frosting is too thick. Beat in softened butter, a little at a time, until blended completely.

Allow the cake to cool before frosting and refrigerate any leftovers.

We really enjoyed this cake and the frosting wasn't too sweet - it reminded me of a glaze or ganache. When Sarah makes this cake, she usually stirs in chocolate chips before baking. We didn't have any in the house, but next time I make it, I think I'll have to add some!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with readers and learning more about you. You are always welcome to leave a comment. I make sure to answer every single one!
*I have added word verification because I've been receiving a lot of spam comments. Thanks for understanding!*