Pork and apples are two things that just go together naturally. Like peanut butter and jelly. Chips and salsa. Cake and frosting. Nutella and pretzels. (Seriously, if you haven't, you definitely need to try it!)
You know what else goes together well? Dinner and crock pots. Especially as a mom to little ones, it's a huge plus not to have to stress about pulling together a full meal during the pre-dinner "witching hour." All I have to do is make some rice or baked potatoes and this meal is set!
This is actually a completely Hubby-created recipe (have I mentioned lately that I'm a lucky girl?), and it's so easy to throw together. We've made this meal with pork roasts and chops, boneless and bone-in, and even with frozen apples. No matter how we cook it, it turns out perfectly tender every time, without being dry.
|The same recipe made with bone-in pork chops.|
Crock Pot Pork & Apples
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 Pork Roast or 4-6 Pork Chops
- 4 Apples, quartered and cored (more if you like more apples)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- Heat a large skillet, add the oil and brown meat on all sides. If you are using chops, you will probably need to work in two batches. Add meat to bottom of the crock pot.
- Top the pork with the apples, and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. (For added flavor, you can add a splash of apple cider to the crock.)
- Cover the crock pot and cook for 6 hours on low.
- Remove pork from the crock, tent with foil, and allow to rest 10 minutes. Serve with the cooked apples.
So, tell me...
Do you love the crock pot as much as I do? What is your favorite crock pot dish?