Thursday, October 3, 2013

Low-Sugar Whole Wheat Banana Bread



I'm so excited to share this recipe! I have been looking for a good whole wheat banana bread for quite a while. Kiddo loves to eat breakfast bread. He calls it "whoa-whoa" and eats a slice every morning with his eggs and (hopefully) fruit. So when I came across this sugar-free banana bread on Pinterest, I knew I had to give it a try. I'm all for finding ways to reduce the amount of sugar in our diet.

I adapted the recipe slightly for my preferences and then gave it a try. As much as I wanted to love it, the bread was bland, and even a little bitter-tasting. But the texture was really good (and Kiddo still ate it), so I decided to give it another try with some added sweetener. The result was just sweet enough to complement the banana flavor. This is my new go-to banana bread recipe!


Low-Sugar Whole Wheat Banana Bread 
Makes 2 loaves

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups, plus 2 Tbsp. mashed or pureed banana (about 3-4 bananas)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
1 cup water
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup honey (sugar would work too)
4 cups whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat)
2 tsp baking soda
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup nuts (optional -- I didn't use any)

Directions: 
  1. Beat together mashed banana, melted butter, water, eggs, vanilla, and honey until creamy. (I used my Kitchen Aid mixer.)
  2. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Beat well. Stir in nuts, if using. 
  3. Spoon batter into a buttered and floured loaf pan. Spread batter evenly. 
  4. Bake at 325 F for 45 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
  5. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.

I guess you COULD say this recipe is sugar-free since it uses honey and not white sugar, but since it still has a sweetener, I decided to call it low-sugar. Either way, at just 2 Tablespoons of honey per loaf, it's a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with readers and learning more about you. You are always welcome to leave a comment. I make sure to answer every single one!
*I have added word verification because I've been receiving a lot of spam comments. Thanks for understanding!*