Friday, July 5, 2013

Easy-Access Recipe Cards

When it comes to recipes, I'm not afraid of trying new things every once in a while. But for the most part, we stick with what we know and love. There are several meals that are in our regular rotation, and we almost always have some sort of quick bread for breakfast (it's a great way to bribe encourage the little one to eat his eggs and fruit).
All of our favorite recipes are on recipe cards. Many come from Pinterest, and while I do have some cookbooks, I don't like taking up valuable counter space while I'm cooking. If a meal from any source is deemed a "keeper," I write it on a card.
Storing the cards in a box is great in theory, but I found that the recipes I used regularly ended up in a pile next to/on top of/underneath where they were supposed to go. Not organized at all, and the clutter was starting to get to me.
The solution came to me one day when I was cleaning off the fridge. If Pinterest has taught me anything, it's that just about anything under the sun can be re-purposed. I was planning on putting a magnetic picture frame in the yard sale pile until I realized it could hold a few recipe cards. So, I gave it a trial run with a few of my favorites, and I was very happy with the result.
Since it worked so well, I decided I could use a few more frames to store different categories. I could have bought more at the Dollar Tree, but I put a out plea on Facebook first, and sure enough, my friend Sue gave me some that were taking up space in her house. Win-win! 
The only problem was, my favorite recipe cards are a bit loved...

Not exactly pretty... These great labels from Better Homes and Gardens were just what they needed. I used a similar label for our pantry storage, and I love how they make even the simplest project look pretty! All I did was print the labels on some computer paper, adhere them with clear contact paper, and voila!


Here they are at home on the side of my fridge with my cooking reference sheets, grocery list, etc.


They may not be something you'd find in a designer kitchen, but they're practical, pretty, and free. I count that as a success!

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea, Kim! Super organized AND cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I take that as a big compliment coming from you! :)

      Delete

I love interacting with readers and learning more about you. You are always welcome to leave a comment. I make sure to answer every single one!
*I have added word verification because I've been receiving a lot of spam comments. Thanks for understanding!*