Thursday, May 22, 2014

Dry Shoes Quickly without Getting (Too) Stinky: Tips &Tricks Thursday

Welcome back to Tips & Tricks Thursday! This little corner of the blog is devoted to those simple ideas that make life better or easier in some way. :) 
 


The Tip: Newspaper works wonders with wet shoes.

Wet shoes can get stinky and take forever to dry. We learned this tip when I was growing up from a family with four boys and a creek in their back yard. Newspaper absorbs the water from wet shoes and has deodorizing properties. Just stuff the shoes full of newspaper, and replace with new paper periodically until the shoes are dry. For added drying power, place the shoes in front of a heating vent, radiator, or fireplace.

Why I Love It:

If you follow me on Facebook, you'll remember our unplanned rainy day playtime last week. 
Kiddo loves playing in the rain, and since his galoshes are still too big, that means he's out in his everyday shoes. We have to get those shoes dry quickly!

Aren't these little work boots adorable?
This time it took two days because we didn't have the heat on to help them dry, but back in the fall, when our sneakers got soaked in the rain, I used the newspaper trick and placed the sneakers on the hearth near the fireplace. I replaced the paper once, and they were almost completely dry by morning.

And they smelled like daisies. Just kidding. Though they smelled pretty good for shoes. :-)



Have a tip, trick, or simple helpful hint to share? You are more than welcome to submit your idea here. I'd love to include it in a future post!  


1 comment:

  1. Awesome trick! I'm sharing with my sister in law since her two kids won't keep out of their small pond as they hunt of tadpoles. ;)

    Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us at Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! Hope to see you again next Saturday morning starting at 8:00 am EST!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with readers and learning more about you. You are always welcome to leave a comment. I make sure to answer every single one!
*I have added word verification because I've been receiving a lot of spam comments. Thanks for understanding!*