Friday, April 11, 2014

8-inch Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie


Have you bought into the skillet cookie craze on Pinterest? A few years ago, when I first saw a recipe, I knew I had to try it! I had made cookie bars before, but had never thought to use a skillet. We LOVE our cast-iron skillets, so it was a match made in heaven. Most recipes call for a 10-inch skillet, which we do have, but since this is usually something I make just for Hubby and me, I thought a smaller version might be better for our waistlines. ;-)


If I can help it, I try to use whole wheat in my baked goods, so I halved a whole wheat chocolate chip cookie recipe to fit in our 8-inch skillet. I have to say, I was pleased with the end result... But something still wasn't quite right.

The cookie was a bit too firm, so I made several attempts to make it softer and/or gooier (is that even a word?). It took some trial and error, but I finally got it just right.

Attempt 1: I tried reducing the flour a bit, but it totally backfired and made for a very greasy/buttery cookie.

Attempt 2: I went back to the original recipe but baked it for a few minutes less. Still not right.

As much as we (especially Hubby) were enjoying my "research," I wanted to get this recipe perfect so I could share it with all of you. So I turned to Baker Bettie and her science of the chocolate chip cookie. Not only was it a fascinating read (I'm a complete nerd), but it really helped me to figure out what I needed to do.

Attempt 3: I created more lift in the dough by adding baking powder and avoided the greasiness by using softened butter instead of melted butter. The batter was much thicker and harder to spread in the pan, but the end result was just right! I actually said "this is perfect" several times as I was eating it. Success!


 Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour (I prefer hard white wheat)
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (plus a few to sprinkle on the top)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly butter an 8-inch cast iron skillet.
  2. Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and stir until combined. Mix in baking soda, salt, and flour a little at a time. If the dough seems really really soft, stir in an extra tablespoon of flour. Stir in chocolate chips.
  3. Spread batter into the skillet, smoothing the top. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top, if desired.
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top is evenly browned.
  5. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving, preferably with a scoop of ice cream. 

Seriously, yum!! Let's admire this beauty one more time.


Yup, it's a keeper! And since it's made with whole wheat flour, you can feel a little less guilty indulging.

I'm a sucker for anything that has chocolate in it, especially when it's paired with ice cream. What's your favorite dessert?


Psst! Want to make this recipe, but don't have a cast iron skillet? Enter to win a cast iron starter set here! Contest ends at midnight on Saturday, April 19th.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with readers and learning more about you. You are always welcome to leave a comment. I make sure to answer every single one!
*I have added word verification because I've been receiving a lot of spam comments. Thanks for understanding!*