What's a Time Suck?According to the Urban Dictionary, a time suck is "Something that's engrossing and addictive, but that keeps you from doing things that are actually important..." Basically, this challenge is a way to see where I'm losing most of my productivity. I'd like to find a way to better use my time, and I thought you might want to come along for the ride!
Keeping a Time LogAs I wrote Busy and thought through my schedule, I was really forced to contemplate how I was spending my time. I knew I wasn't always making the most of my time at home, so I decided to make a time log and really see what was taking up time that would be better used on other things.
So I created another free printable: a cute little half-sheet to fill out with my general activities for the day. (And speaking of time-sucks, I spent way too much time on this baby.) There's space for each hour on there, just enough to give a general (not detailed) account of how I'm spending my time.
|Not sure why some of the lines are coming out so blurry...|
I promise the real printable is not like that. :)
Where I'm Losing ProductivityI'm pretty sure my biggest time sucks are technology related:
- Social Media: Facebook, Pinterest, Email, and sometimes Twitter. I catch myself checking my tablet or computer constantly.
- Blog Posts: I'm a perfectionist. With the exception of Menu Plan Monday, I spend at least an hour on each blog post, probably more when you count in the photo editing.
The PlanMy goal is to keep up my time log for a full week. I'm really curious to know just how much time I'm spending doing different tasks. My ultimate goal is to figure out how to spend my day more wisely. I'll be sure to keep you updated on my findings. :)
Join The ChallengeSo, will you join me? Here's how:
- Keep a time log. Feel free to download the free printable here, or just keep a journal of your activities.
- Log your activity for at least 3 days (my goal is a week)
- Decide what needs to be changed, and create an action plan to make it happen.
I linked up at A Bowl Full of Lemons and Just A Girl and Her Blog.