Monday, December 23, 2013

Easy Kid-Made Gifts: Peppermint Candy Cane Sugar Scrub

Last week, I shared one of the Kid-Made Gifts my Pioneer Girls (ages 8-10) made at a recent meeting. I originally intended to share all of them all at once, but that would have been a really long post! It made more sense to share them one at a time.
I started with my Kool Aid Play Dough Mix last week, and it became my most popular post by far. It was even featured at Money Saving Mom! This week I'll be sharing a few more gift ideas that kids can make for family and friends.

Peppermint Candy Cane Scrub:
 
We made this Peppermint Candy Cane Sugar Scrub from The Idea Room at our MOPs meeting, and I knew it would be perfect for my Pioneer Girls. 



Using Dollar Store Containers:
I mixed up a huge batch of scrub ahead of time in my Kitchen Aid mixer and brought them to our meeting in plastic containers. Then the girls just layered the pink and white scrub in these cute jars I found at the Dollar Tree.
Once they filled the jars, they put on the lid, tied a bow with red raffia, and attached a label with a square of contact paper. Didn't they turn out perfectly?

Cost for the Dollar Store Jars (One batch of scrub makes 2 jars)
Sugar - 0.18 @ $1.99 for 5 lb bag
Coconut Oil - $0.13 @ $5.98 for 30 oz
Peppermint Essential Oil  $0.04*
Jars - $0.50 each
Grand Total: $0.84 each 


Using Mason Jars:
A few of our girls were out that week, so we had some leftover scrub. I decided to use the rest to make stocking stuffers for my own family. I used some 4 oz mason jars that I found at a yard sale (12 for $4!). To cover the fruit design on the lids, I used some striped washi-style tape from the dollar store and then affixed the label using some clear packing tape.

I layered the pink and white sugar the same way, but I couldn't get a good picture of the side of the textured jar. However, I thought they turned out equally as cute.



Cost for the Mason Jars (One batch of scrub makes 4 jars.)
Sugar - 0.09 @ $1.99 for 5 lb bag
Coconut Oil - $0.07@ $5.98 for 30 oz
Peppermint Essential Oil  $0.02*
Jars -$0.33 each (Yard sale price. At our local store, they come to $0.67 each for 12.)
Grand Total: $0.51 ($0.85 if using new jars)

* According to this site, one .5 oz jar of peppermint essential oil equals 300 drops. SO, since I paid $5.99 for 0.5 fl. oz., that would mean it's only $0.02 per drop of essential oil. A tiny jar for $5.99 is definitely an investment. However, since you only need a few drops at a time, that small bottle will go a long way. There are many benefits to using essential oils. I found good suggestions for using peppermint oil here and here.

These scrubs make perfect stocking stuffers and teacher gifts. A friend even gave a jar to her children's pediatrician!

Are you giving any homemade gifts this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with readers and learning more about you. You are always welcome to leave a comment. I make sure to answer every single one!
*I have added word verification because I've been receiving a lot of spam comments. Thanks for understanding!*